Quarantined tourists lounged by a swimming pool and sipped on free champagne at a Tenerife hotel today as they settled in for a two-week lockdown.
Hundreds of guests will be locked in the H10 Costa Adeje Palace for 14 days to stop the spread of coronavirus, Spanish authorities confirmed today.
The trapped tourists include around 160 Britons – with authorities now hunting for others who returned to the UK before the doors were locked.
Guests were sunbathing in masks and enjoying free supplies of food and alcohol at the hotel poolside today after learning they would be staying well into March.
Some Britons have been handed thermometers and told to take their own temperatures, with those showing symptoms confined to their rooms.
Meanwhile, authorities are beginning a search for tourists who have already left the hotel and may have come into contact with the infected patients.
According to The Sun, at least one Briton who has returned to the UK after staying at the hotel has since been tested after suffering from symptoms.
Spanish health chiefs are gathering names from the hotel and plan to send the list to their countries of origin including the UK.
Sunbathing in masks: Tourists lounge by the pool of H10 Costa Adeje Palace as they settle in for a two-week lockdown after Spanish authorities confirmed a quarantine
The hotel laid on free champagne for tourists today after guests were told they would have to stay put at the resort until mid-March
Food served to guests today included pasta in a takeaway box (left) and a tray of bread, pastries and orange juice (right) as well as bottles of water
Guests wearing masks lie on sun loungers and walk by the poolside at the Tenerife hotel today
Guests were sunbathing in masks and enjoying free supplies of food and alcohol at the hotel poolside today after learning they would be staying well into March
Two hotel guests wearing masks wave from the window of the Tenerife resort today where holidaymakers will have to stay put for 14 days
A guest wearing a protective face mask stands at the window of the H10 Costa Adeje Palace today where tourists were told they face two weeks in quarantine
A police officer walks outside H10 Costa Adeje Palace, which is on lockdown after four cases of coronavirus were detected there
Canary Islands health minister Teresa Cruz confirmed the 14-day quarantine at the four-star hotel in Adeje at a press conference today.
She said 106 tourists could leave today because they checked into the hotel on Monday, after the first two Italians who tested positive for the virus had already been taken into quarantine.
Hotel employees and guests who live in Tenerife would also be allowed to leave but would be monitored ‘actively’ from their homes, she said.
But foreign holidaymakers who were at the hotel before the Italian doctor who first tested positive was transferred to hospital will have to spend two weeks at the hotel.
She told the press conference: ‘Those guests who don’t have any symptoms can lead a normal life with the relevant measures of protection.
‘Those guests with symptoms will remain isolated inside their rooms.’
Saying procedures would be put in place to make sure they were provided with things like nappies, and milk for babies and any medication needed, she added: ‘Today we have reinforced the medical staff to cover the 24 hours of the 14 days we have ahead of us.’
British tour operator Jet2 said today that it had stopped selling stays at the hotel, but would continue flying to Tenerife.
‘Customers who are due to travel to the hotel will be transferred to other accommodation,’ a statement said.
Regional health chiefs in Spain have asked the H10 Costa Adeje Palace to hand over a list of names of guests who were at the hotel after February 17, the date the four Italians who have the virus checked in.
A spokesman for the regional health authority said: ‘The hotel has been asked for a list of the names of people who were staying at the hotel since the guests who tested positive arrived, and have already left Tenerife.
‘That is so the information can be sent to their countries of origin for them to manage the tracking of those possible contacts.’
Tourists in quarantine wave from inside the H10 Costa Adeje Palace hotel in Tenerife today
One British couple, Hannah Green and her boyfriend Court Amys, who are in Spain with their one-year-old son, said the lockdown had been ‘pretty rough’
A face mask provided for people quarantined in the H10 Costa Adeje Palace hotel in Tenerife
A vehicle is parked outside the H10 Costa Adeje Palace hotel today, with Spanish authorities enforcing a lockdown and also hunting for tourists who previously stayed at the hotel
Hotel guests and staff stand outside the building yesterday after entrances and exits were sealed off by Spanish authorities
Tourists look out from the balcony of their hotel room in Tenerife yesterday after guests were kept inside the building to contain the spread of the virus
A Spanish police officer sets up a barrier blocking the road to the H10 Costa Adeje Palace hotel in Tenerife yesterday as the complex was locked down over coronavirus fears
Closed: The H10 Costa Adeje Palace is being guarded by police. Guests were confined to their bedrooms at the four-star hotel in a desperate attempt to stop the virus from spreading
Waiting for news: Crowds outside the hotel in Tenerife. Last night, it was revealed most of the guests will be ‘subject to active individual monitoring’
Canary Islands president Angel Victor Torres said last night the Italian doctor – believed to have stayed for six days – flew to Tenerife on February 17 and took a bus to the hotel.
He confirmed that authorities are still waiting for the results of second tests carried out in Madrid on the doctor and his wife, but expected them to come back positive.
The doctor was part of a group of 10 Italians who were the first of the hotel guests to be tested for coronavirus.
Two other Italians who were part of the same group have also tested positive and are in hospital, health authorities on the Canary Islands said.
All four Italians with coronavirus in Tenerife are in ‘good condition’, regional health minister Cruz told a news conference.
Another 23 Italians were the next group to be tested and tests on the remaining guests were still going last night night.
Domingo Nunez, head of epidemiology at the Canary Islands Health Service, defended the decision to keep the hotel on lockdown last night.