A chilling CCTV image showing Manchester Arena suicide bomber Salman Abedi seconds before he murdered 22 people has been shown to a jury.
The image was taken 19 seconds before the 22-year-old detonated his powerful rucksack bomb, sending thousands of nuts and screws shredding everything in their path.
Abedi had waited an hour in the City Room, the foyer outside the venue, before blowing himself up while surrounded by youngsters and their parents leaving an Ariana Grande concert at 10.31pm on May 22 2017.
The suicide attack left 22 innocent people dead and hundreds more injured, the Old Bailey has heard.
A CCTV image of Salman Abedi in Manchester Arena, on May 22, 2017, moments before he detonated his bomb, which was shown at the Old Bailey in the court case of Hashem Abedi, brother of the Manchester Arena suicide bomber, who is accused of mass murder
CCTV pictures of the attacker standing amid the crowd of men, women and children was shown in the trial of his brother Hashem Abedi, who is accused of helping him plan the killings.
In it, Salman was seen wearing a large Karrimor rucksack containing the bomb.
The court heard 14,054 people had attended the pop concert that night and 359 people were in the foyer at the time of the detonation.
Security and medical staff provided first aid and checked for signs of life immediately after the blast.
British Transport Police officers from Victoria Station were the first to arrive at the scene.
Abedi was caught on CCTV footage leaving his rented flat on Granby Row in Manchester with a large suitcase then returning empty handed
Abedi making his way to a Metrolink tram station at 8.12pm, circled in red, and he is clearly carrying a large backpack
Abedi getting ready to board the Metrolink tram, circled in red, at 8.16pm
Abedi boarding a Metrolink tram at 8.28pm, circled in red, and he is clearly carrying a large backpack
Abedi leaving a Metrolink train as he makes his way to the Manchester Arena in May
Abedi at Victoria Station making his way to the Manchester Arena, on May 22, 2017, where he detonated his bomb, which was shown at the Old Bailey today
Abedi used the toilets at Victoria station before he made his way to the Manchester Arena
Greater Manchester Police officers then checked for any ‘secondary devices’ and secured the area, jurors were told.
A ‘major incident’ was declared and a triage medical station was set up on the Victoria Station concourse for paramedics to treat the wounded.
All living casualties were moved out by 11.30pm and 19 people were confirmed dead at the scene, jurors heard.
The father of 15-year-old victim Meghan Hurley remained with her body until after 1am, the court heard.
Salman Abedi’s body was recovered in four parts and was riddled with nuts, wire and metal parts, jurors were told.
Abedi wandered around Victoria station, before making his way to the Manchester Arena
Walking with his hands in his pockets, and the rucksack on his back, Abedi, can be seen wandering through the crowds of commuters
Abedi entered a lift and his face can be seen clearly as he makes his way down in the lift to the Manchester Arena Foyer
Abedi, circled in red, arriving at the Manchester Arena, where he detonated his bomb
He was identified by his DNA and finger prints taken in 2012 when he was arrested for shop lifting, the court heard.
In the days before the Ariana Grande concert, the 20,000 capacity Manchester Arena had hosted a series of Take That concerts and a Professor Brian Cox Live event.
Earlier on May 22 2017, Salman had arranged to send £460 to Libya, jurors heard.
He was caught on CCTV footage leaving his rented flat on Granby Row in Manchester with a large suitcase then returning empty handed.
Later, he went out with his rucksack and took a Metrolink tram to Victoria Station in Manchester.
While waiting for the tram, he made a call lasting just over four minutes to his family in Libya, the court heard.
The bomber remained in the area of the Manchester Arena for two hours before detonating his device at 10.31pm.
Salman Ramadan Abedi: the cannabis-smoking university drop-out who was reported to authorities for ‘extremism’ before killing 22 people
Salman Ramadan Abedi was born in Manchester on December 31, 1994 to a Salafi family of Libyan ancestry.
Neighbours had described the family as traditional and ‘super religious’.
Abedi’s former tutors noted that he was a slow and uneducated person.
It has been reported that he had accused a teacher of Islamophobia when they expressed unsympathetic views towards suicide bombing.
He was described by friends as fun and outgoing, enjoying alcohol and allegedly smoking cannabis before he went teetotal after 2011 – the year he fought for the anti-Gaddafi Libyan Islamic Fighting Group with his father.
Abedi was sent back to Britain for school, before getting injured during fighting in Libya in 2014.
Not well-known in Fallowfield, some had noticed that he had grown a beard and started wearing religious dress.
He enrolled at the University of Salford before dropping out in 2014.
Manchester Police suspected Abedi of using his student loans to acquire the materials to build a bomb, as well as pay for travel to Libya before 2017.
He was known to the security services and police, but never flagged as anything more than a petty criminal.
Members of Britain’s Libyan diaspora had allegedly warned authorities ‘for years’ about his radicalisation.
Abedi, however, was not known to the Prevent anti-radicalisation scheme.
In November 2018, Parliament’s Intelligence and Security Committee had concluded that MI5 had dealt ‘too slowly’ with Abedi before the attack.
Hashem Abedi, 22, who was in Libya with his family at the time of the attack, has denied 22 counts of murder, attempted murder and conspiracy to cause explosions.
Today, the Old Bailey also heard of horrific shrapnel injuries, which for many would have caused rapid loss of consciousness and death.
The youngest victim, Saffie-Rose Roussos, eight, from Preston, had attended the Ariana Grande concert with her mother Lisa, 48, and sister.
Officers and members of the public, including an off-duty nurse, rushed to her aid, but she was pronounced dead in hospital just over an hour after the attack.
Saffie-Rose had more than 70 external injures, and 17 metallic nuts were found lodged in her body, the court heard.
The oldest victim, 51-year-old school receptionist Jane Tweddle, from Blackpool, died at the scene after a single metal nut hit her in the neck.
Megan Hurley, 15, from Liverpool, was walking across the foyer with her brother Bradley to rejoin their parents after the gig.
Her father found her collapsed just minutes after the explosion and she was pronounced dead despite resuscitation attempts.
A post-mortem examination identified 80 external injuries, including lacerations and burns, and widespread internal injuries.
She had 22 metal nuts in or on her body and the court heard it was “very likely” she died quickly.
Student Chloe Rutherford, 17, and her boyfriend Liam Curry, 19, from South Shields, were both killed in the blast.
Liam sustained 60 penetrating injuries and had 51 metal nuts in his body and clothes, while Chloe suffered more than 100 external injuries and 45 nuts were found.
Support worker John Atkinson, 28, from Manchester, was initially found conscious and talking, but suffered a cardiac arrest at Manchester Royal Infirmary and died early the next day.
A post-mortem examination showed he had sustained very severe leg injuries as a result of penetration by multiple metal nuts.
The court heard that of the 264 people physically injured, 28 suffered life-threatening or life-changing wounds.
A girl aged 10 suffered two broken legs as well as shrapnel wounds to the stomach and chest.
Donna Currie, 51, who was waiting in the foyer for her daughter and her friend, suffered multiple fractures to both legs and shrapnel wounds.
She had previously sustained shrapnel injuries in the 1996 IRA bombing in Manchester and experienced extensive psychological trauma.
A 50-year-old woman, who was waiting with a friend to collect their daughters, sustained life-threatening blast, burn and shrapnel wounds.
The court heard the unnamed survivor had been present in Warrington during the 1993 IRA bombings.
The court previously heard that Abedi performed a solo reconnaissance trip on his first day back from Libya, where he is suspected of learning bomb-making, in May 2017.
Chilling footage shows the moment that Abedi walked past Take That concert-goers as he plotted the suicide bombing which also left 119 with serious injuries.
He arrived back in Britain from Libya after 11am on May 18, before meeting with a Nissan Micra parked in Rusholme to purchase bomb parts.
Abedi then told a landlady that he wanted to rent a Granby Row flat for two weeks.
The 22 victims of the Manchester Arena bombing in May 2017
Elaine McIver, 43: the off-duty police officer died in the attack, which injured her husband and children;Saffie Rose Roussos, 8: the youngest victim was separated from her mother and sister in the seconds after the blast;Sorrell Leczkowski, 14: schoolgirl died in the bomb blast, while her mother, Samantha and grandmother Pauline were badly hurt;Eilidh MacLeod, 14: confirmed dead having been missing since being caught up in the blast with her friend Laura MacIntyre;Nell Jones, 14: farmer’s daughter travelled to the pop concert with her best friend for her 14th birthday;Olivia Campbell-Hardy, 15: her family searched desperately for her for nearly 48 hours and went on TV to plead for news;Megan Hurley, 15: the Liverpool schoolgirl was with her brother who suffered serious injuries in the blast;Georgina Callander, 18: met Ariana Grande backstage at a previous gig and died in hospital with her mother at her bedside;Chloe Rutherford, 17, and Liam Curry, 19: couple from South Shields ‘wanted to be together forever and now they are’, their family said;Courtney Boyle, 19, and Philip Tron, 32: criminology student and her stepfather were confirmed dead following a Facebook appeal;John Atkinson, 26: pop fan from Radcliffe, Greater Manchester, was in a local dance group and was leaving the gig when the blast happened;Martyn Hett, 29: public relations manager from Stockport, who was due to start a two-month ‘holiday of a lifetime’ to the US two days later;Kelly Brewster, 32: civil servant from Sheffield who died trying to shield her 11-year-old niece from the bombing;Marcin Kils, 42, and Angelika Kils, 39: both killed as they waited for their daughters who both survived the blast;Michelle Kiss, 45: mother-of-three from Clitheroe, Lancashire, went to the Ariana Grande concert with her daughter;Alison Lowe, 44, and friend Lisa Lees, 43: both killed when they arrived to pick up their teenage daughters who were not hurt;Wendy Fawell, 50: mother from Leeds was killed by the blast while picking up her children at the Arena with a friend;Jane Taylor, 50: mother-of-three from Blackpool was killed as she waited to collect a friend’s daughter from the concert